Basic Rules of the Road
- Keep left and allow the vehicles from the opposite direction to pass.
- Give way to traffic on your right, especially at junctions and round-abouts.
- While turning right, keep vehicles on the right lane.
- While turning left, keep to the left side of the road.
- Slow down at road junctions, intersections and pedestrian crossings. You must also slow down near school zones, temple areas etc., where a lot of pedestrians and vehicle move.Use proper indicators to turn left or right.
- Always use a helmet if you are driving a two-wheeler and see that when you use the helmet, the strap is fixed properly.
- Stick to the speed limit and keep in mind that speed limit is related to the traffic condition.
- Remember that the distance to stop your vehicle depends on the speed at which you are driving.
- Keep adequate distance from the vehicle ahead to avoid collision.
- Yellow lines should not be crossed, even while over-taking.
- At road junctions or intersections, do not park the vehicle beyond the stop line.
- Remember that at pedestrian crossings, the pedestrian has the right of way.
- At the signal, do not stop your vehicle on the Pedestrian Crossing but stop it within the stop line.
- Two wheelers are meant only for two.
- Do not start on the amber light. Wait for the green.
- Overtake only on the right side and do not overtake on bridges, narrow roads, junctions, school zones and pedestrian crossings. Do not overtake when one vehicle is already overtaking the vehicle that you want to overtake.
- Never drive carelessly.
You can observe all of the above only if you are patient, considerate and careful.
KNOW YOUR SIGNS
In the world of communications, signs form a vital part. Traffic signs are an integral part of the system of safeguard for the safety of road users.
Traffic signs may be classified into three categories:-
They are also known as regulatory signs.
All mandatory signs are indicated in a circular form and they have to be followed compulsorily.
These are meant for your safety. These are given in triangular form.
These signs are those which provide information to help you. They are in Blue Color and in square shape.
- Violation of these traffic signs, which denote a specific traffic regulation is a legal offence under Section 119 of Motor Vehicle Act.
- Speed limit, stop and give way signs are the most important of these signs. The other major signs relate to prohibiting entry or turn and permitting entry or turn only in one direction. No parking signs and signs relating to No stopping or standing and No 'U' turn, No entry etc. should be observed scrupulously and violation of these signs would affect the road users by creating jam and accidents.
Signs denoting Pedestrian crossing, School zones and Intersections are the most important among the cautionary signs.
As already pointed out in the pedestrian crossing, the pedestrian has the right of way and you should not proceed when the pedestrian is crossing nor should you stop the vehicle on the pedestrian crossing hindering his movement.
In school zones, you have to drive very cautiously and lower the speed.